Why believing you matter will change your life (and the world)
And I'm really happy with my front page, because it reminds me that no matter how shit a situation it is, if you can not only remember but believethat you matter, then you can get through all sorts of things.
Small changes and big changes, good things and great things - they all stem from believing that you matter.
But the most important thing? It's about hearing it from ourselves, not relying on other people to make us feel great.
Other people are great at telling us what we're doing wrong, and what we can improve, and that's what we end up focusing on. Think about it - when was the last time someone gave you criticism?
Now - when was the last time someone complimented you?
It's harder to remember the last one isn't it? And I bet the negative comment played on your mind for a lot longer.
The thing about feeling like you matter, is that when you start believing it, all kinds of things start falling into place.
You start making decisions from a different place; one of self value and worth. You start treating yourself better, which can only be good, and you start suddenly finding routes and ways for things you've been wanting to do but thought were a long distant dream.
Sounds good, right? So how do we go about believing that we matter?
1. Do something you're good at, often. It doesn't need to be so impressive. Recognise your strengths and play to them when you can.
2. Do something you enjoy. It's as simple as that. Get lost in something that makes you feel amazing, and live in the moment.
3. Build a protective bubble around things that make you feel shitty. Have a job you hate? A relative that makes you want to scream? Build great things around the time you spend doing things that aren't so great, and remember them, often.
4. Do something that scares you. When you face fear and do something that scares you (even if only a little bit), you get to see first hand just how strong you are, and how you can tackle things you never thought you could.
5. Think about the things you'll regret not doing, and try and find a good reason not to do them. If you can find one, forget it. If you can't, make a plan.
You fucking matter. You really do. And it's when you start to value yourself that you make the change in the world, that only you can do.