8 things you can do when you’re pretty sure the world is a shit place
The art of intentionally looking for proof that people are good and kind
I don’t know about you, but the world feels like it’s getting more terrifying every day. And as creatives, dreamers and world shakers, it’s hard to feel any hope at all.
It’s hard not to get sucked into a massive tunnel of doom and feel like the world is falling to pieces.
And we’re pretty susceptible to be sucked into that tunnel, as people who want to help and want to make the world a better place. From rolling news to social media, we get to know and to see so many negatively things every hour. And it takes its toll.
It’s all too easy to hear about the bad shit. It’s the bad news that sells, keeps us fearful and spending money.
And let’s face it, SO much good shit happens in the world that we don’t hear about.
So let’s start getting intentional.
And let's start seeking out the things that happen that don't make it to our radar.
Here are 8 things I recommend!
1. Don't check the news within the first hour of getting up in the morning. Instead, listen to some of your favourite music or a positive podcast
2. Cut the news out altogether - I know, I know, I had conflicting views too. (I wrote a great list of 56 things you can do instead of watching the news here).
4. Listen to your favourite playlists instead of listening to the radio.
5. Check out wonderful projects like the Good Newspaper and sign up for weekly updates of great news stories
6. Find a Random Act of Kindness you can do today. Or simply smile at a stranger.
7. Watch soul-filling stuff on YouTube like the Global Positive News Network Channel and realise that people are overwhelmingly good.
8. Pick up a book you’ve been meaning to read instead of getting caught up on your phone
Actively seeking the good stuff isn’t about putting your fingers in your ear and singing la la la!
(Though it is pretty tempting at times!).
Instead, it’s about prioritising your mental health and knowing that just seeing the bad shit all the time isn’t going to help.
You need to be responsible to you as well. Your dreams of making a difference, of having a wholehearted life and being a force of good aren’t going to happen if you surround yourself with the bad stuff all the time.
I know it’s hard to believe right now, but on the whole, people are kind, people care, and people are wonderful.
Don’t miss an opportunity to tell someone what they mean to you.
And cherish the things that make you feel good and surround yourself with as much self kindness as you can.
Don’t give up on the world – instead, look for the good stuff and hold onto it as tight as you can.